Write Off Your Moving Expenses

Blog Post Image
Real Estate

Write Off Your Moving Expenses

Moving expenses are tax deductible if:

-Your new job or job transfer is at least 50 miles farther from your home than the old house was.

-If you had no previous job, the new one has to be at least 50 miles from your old house.

-Your move makes your commute shorter than it was prior to the move.

-If you are in the armed forces and had a permanent change of station.

-If you’re working full-time (you expect to work at least 39 weeks out of the next 12 months).

-If you incur expenses within one year from the day you reported to work at your new job.

The required length of time is waived in cases of a new job for members of the armed forces, those transferred by an employer, those who lost a job through no fault of their own, and those returning to the United States from abroad when they retire (or their survivors).

Qualified deductions include

*Packing and transporting household goods  

*Mileage for use of your own car (or gas and oil expenses)

*Tolls and parking fees on the trip

*Up to 30 days' storage of household goods

*Disconnecting and connecting utilities

*Transportation and lodging for yourself and members of your household while traveling to the new home.

No longer allowable: $3,000 more for up to 30 days’ temporary living expenses, house hunting trips and costs of selling or buying a home.


If you're thinking of moving or relocating for work, please give me a call.  I'm happy to share some great moving contacts I have- for both local and national moves!